I’ve never had fried green tomatoes before but I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of fried tomatoes. Normally, I roast my tomatoes in the oven, but I’ve never tried frying them.
I used a few kumatos left over from my trip to Whole Foods, and I thought I’d try breading and frying them. It was completely last minute and half-assed, but you know what? They turned out great!
- kumatos (or regular tomatoes)
- salt and pepper
- Slice your kumatos about 1/4″ thick.
- Beat egg. I happen to use egg whites because that’s what I had at the time.
- Dip sliced tomatoes in the egg mixture.
- Dip in panko on both sides.
- Fry in about half an inch of oil.